Coach Dan Scanlan
Having wrestled since age 6, Coach Dan has almost 20 years of competitive experience and over 12 years of coaching experience. As a competitor, his accomplishments include the following:
- 4x Youth MAWA National Placewinner
- 2003 AA Virginia State Champion (160)
- 2004 AA Virginia State Champion (171)
- 2003 Super 32 Finalist
- Ranked top 8 in the country (High School) 3 years in a row (6th, 6th, 8th) by “Wrestle USA”
- 2008 NCAA D2 National Champion
- 2011 Freestyle All-American
- 2012 NCAA D2 Finalist
- Combined High School and College win percentage: 96%
As a coach, he has produced 7 Virginia state championships and over 10 state placewinners. Scanlan Wrestling Academy has a private continuing education program for our coaches which Coach Dan has attended. This includes spending 5 days with current Iowa State University coaching staff and ISU championship wrestling alumni.
Coach Joe Scanlan
Coach Joe, being Coach Dan’s father, coached him most of his life. In addition to producing the accomplishments above, he begin the “VA Basic” wrestling club that produced the most dominant high school wrestlers in the northern VA area from 1999 to 2005 including over 15 State Championships and even more State Placewinners. “The Professor” is the godfather of the Scanlan Wrestling Academy.
Coach Matt Sanders
Coach Matt is the newest addition to the SWA coaching staff. This relationship couldn’t have been more organic. Coach Matt fits in perfectly to the SWA training system and brings a great style to the coaching table. As a competitor, Coach Matt’s accomplishments include the following:
- 2x VHSL District Champion
- 2x VHSL Regional Finalist
- 5th Place AAA Virginia State Tournament
- 1996 Greco-Roman State Champion
- VA National Greco Team Member 1996
- Wrestled one year for Norfolk State University
- High School Win Percentage: 90%
Coach Matt has been coaching for 7 years now and is fully integrated into the SWA training system. Coach Matt also has gone through the Scanlan Wrestling Academy private continuing education program that includes spending 5 days shadowing current Iowa State University coaching staff and ISU championship wrestling alumni.